"It was very welcoming. That’s what is so important about neighbourhood houses – the welcome – no matter who are you are, or where you are coming from."
– Mount Pleasant NH board member
“One time [staff] invited a lot of people, especially newcomers or immigrant women who have a family here, to ask them, ‘What do you need?’ That was so unique. They have the goal to include everyone.”
– Kitsilano Neighbourhood House volunteer
The mission of the Association of Neighbourhood Houses B.C. is to build healthy and engaged neighbourhoods by connecting people and strengthening their capacity to create change.
Through seven neighbourhood houses and an outdoor camp, ANHBC reaches more than 100,000 people throughout Metro Vancouver with more than 300 programs and services.
When you walk through the doors of our many sites, you’ll find unique and vibrant places where people can build their social life through cultural and recreational activities and groups, or improve their personal capacity through camping and outdoor experiences, workshops, courses and employment counselling.
Neighbourhood houses provide healthy places to live, work and play for residents of any age, from all walks of life. We’ve learned that people come to view their neighbourhood house as a second home, and often multiple generations from the same family will discover programs and services that help them develop roots in their community.
The sense of belonging people develop at a neighbourhood house is enduring. Many participants become volunteers who want to help others in ways similar to how their neighbourhood house helped them. Other volunteers find support at their neighbourhood house for their ideas on how to make their neighbourhood a better place to live.
Our programs and services are locally-based, but are also supportive of Metro Vancouver and provincial initiatives to strengthen communities. ANHBC is a non-profit organization and a registered charity. Along with operating our neighbourhood houses and camp, we also organize fundraising initiatives, carry out community development projects, support the development of new neighbourhood houses and services, and sponsor the Good Neighbours Awards, an annual event that celebrates the people and organizations who make our work possible.
By the numbers:
- ANHBC operates in 50 sites in Metro Vancouver.
- In 2016-17, the organization offered 1,000 licensed childcare spaces.
- More than 100,000 people are assisted each year by 300-plus programs and services offered by the ANHBC. Discover the programs and services at your local neighbourhood house.
- ANHBC employs more than 600 people, including 175 on a full-time basis, and has an annual operating budget of about $20 million. Explore our current career opportunities.
- More than 1,750 volunteers who donate an estimated 100,000 hours of service each year are crucial to the success of ANHBC. Learn how you can help, too.